Climate Change and Conflict in the Pacific: Challenges and Responses
Climate Change and Conflict in the Pacific: Challenges and Responses, edited by Ria Shibata, Seforosa Carroll and Volker Boege, Routledge 2023. ISBN: 9780367431853 (hardcover).
This book address the various dimensions of the climate change–conflict nexus and shed light on the overwhelming challenges of climate change in the Pacific Islands region.
It highlights the multidimensionality of the problems: political, technical, material, and emotional and psychological. Written by experts in the field, the chapters highlight the centrality and importance of opening up a dialogue between researchers involved in the large-scale global modelling of climate change and the local actors. Both scholars and civil society actors come together in sharing about the complexities of local contexts and the conflict-driving potential of climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies on the ground. The book brings together indigenous Pacific approaches with broader international debates in the climate change–security discourse. Through various accounts and perspectives, current gaps in knowledge are bridged, contributing to the development of more grounded, conflict-sensitive climate change policies, strategies, governance and adaptation measures in the Pacific region.
An important resource for students, researchers, policymakers and civil society actors interested in the multi-faceted issues of climate change in the Pacific.
- Introduction. Climate Change and Conflict in the Pacific: Challenges and Responses
Ria Shibata and Seforosa Carroll
Climate change-Security-Conflict Nexus
- The Climate Change-Security Nexus: A Critical Security Studies Perspective
- Global Security Challenges of Climate Change
Climate Change and Conflict in the Pacific
- Climate Change, Its Social Effects, and Conflicts in the Pacific
- Climate Change, Migration and Land in Oceania
John R. Campbell
Case Studies: Climate Change and Conflict in the Pacific
- Relocation of Carteret Islanders to Bougainville: A Special Case of Climate Change Adaptation
Volker Boege and Ursula Rakova
- Changing Environments and Conflict Prevention in Solomon Islands
- Social Implications of Climate Change in Vanuatu: Potential for Conflict, Avenues for Conflict
Prevention, and Peacebuilding