Senior Research Fellow and Director
Cooperative Security, Arms Control and Disarmament
Toda Peace Institute
The Toda Peace Institute is searching for a Senior Research Fellow and Director of its
Cooperative Security, Arms Control and Disarmament programme. The position is currently held by Professor Thakur, who is retiring at the end of 2023. The Toda Peace Institute, therefore, invites applications for the position with the successful candidate expected to begin in January 2024 or as soon as possible thereafter.
We are looking for a Senior Academic and/or Global Policy maker with well-established networks of scholars, diplomats, national, regional and global officials and civil society contacts in the areas of co-operative security, arms control and disarmament.
Although the Toda Peace Institute is located in Japan, the successful candidate could be located anywhere in the world as the Toda Peace Institute links its staff virtually most of the time, with annual or biennial in-person meetings in Tokyo.
The Cooperative Security SRF will join a team of four other Senior Research Fellows working with the Director of the Toda Peace Institute, Professor Kevin P. Clements. Please visit https://toda.org/ for information on other thematic areas in the organisation and the past work of Professor Thakur in this area. The position is .70 or .75 of a fulltime role and would suit someone nearing the end of their career or wishing to combine it with another part-time role.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide intellectual and strategic leadership for the Cooperative Security, Arms Control and Disarmament programme of the Toda Peace Institute.
- Develop an annual research and practice plan for the programme.
- Commission Policy Briefs and Global Outlook publications for the Toda Peace Institute.
- Commission recorded (video/audio) Public Conversations with influentials in this field.
- Initiate specific research projects on co-operative security, arms control and disarmament for the 21st century.
- Organise (in collaboration with the Director) track 1.5 or 2.0 problem-solving workshops, seminars and conferences on specific 21st century challenges to co-operative security, arms control and disarmament.
- Give lectures relating to the programme.
- Maintain his/her own research and publication programme.
- Represent the Toda Peace Institute at appropriate international meetings and conferences. This position will require regular international travel.
- Work closely with the team of SRFs, Toda Peace Institute Tokyo office staff and other staff.
- Ph.D. or terminal degree in Politics/International Relations/Peace Research/ International law
- At least 10 years leadership in the academic and/or national, regional and multilateral policy worlds.
- Facilitation and collaborative problem-solving skills.
- High levels of emotional intelligence and cross-cultural sensitivity.
- A proven track record of excellence as a researcher and/or practitioner of peace and conflict resolution.
- Diplomatic experience is helpful.
- Negotiation experience and knowledge of existing arms control and disarmament measures.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Applications close on 1 November (Wed) 2023. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
- Please send an application letter, CV and contact information for three professional references to Professor Kevin P. Clements, Director the Toda Peace Institute at Kevin.Clements@toda.org
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- For further information please contact Professor Kevin Clements at the above address.